Moving out of Geneva : What to do before leaving the Canton


Are you going to move in another canton or another country? Before leaving the second Swiss city after Zurich, you have to go through few steps. This short guide will present you the mandatory steps you must take before leaving Geneva.

  1. Announce your move from Geneva to the Administrations.

All departures from Geneva must be announced to the Civil Status Service, which will give a departure certificate; and to the Cantonal Office of Population and Migrations, which keeps the citizens register up to date. These services have respectively an office located at 37 Rue de la Mairie and 88 Rue de Chancy, in Onex.

Before your moving to Geneva, you also must regularize your taxes for the current year. This is the responsibility of the Cantonal Tax Administration whose office is located at 26 Rue du Stand.

  • Check your driving license

If you would like to bring your vehicle with you and keep your driving license, find out how to do it at the Geneva Office of Automobiles and Navigation. If you need special help, the office of this service is located in Carouge, on 86 Route de Veyrier; in the same building as the Cantonal Office of Vehicles

  • Cancel all your contracts

After the regularization of your tax situation and the registration of your move from Geneva, get your departure certificate to cancel contracts, subscriptions and registrations you have made. This includes, inter alia, lease, internet subscription, insurance, etc.

  • Enquire about customs formalities

For a move from Geneva to another country, you must deal with the Swiss customs services and those of your host country. Even if your goods can be imported without tax in many countries, bring with you a copy of your movable and real estate goods inventory, the vehicle registration document, your identity document and a document proving your moving from Geneva. Have a safe trip! 

You may also like...